Monday, May 20, 2013

keg cake

My good friend Tricia was turning 40 and I offered to make a cake. She said she liked chocolate & beer. I had done the beer mug cake for her husband so I knew it had to be better, or at least different but still a beer theme. Talk about difficult!

So I decided on a keg, albeit a short fat keg. :)

It's chocolate stout cake with an ale buttercream. Everyone loved it. I highly recommend chocolate stout cake for beer lovers - it's rich & delicious & definitely tastes like beer!

I decided to make poured sugar ice and beer bottles for the top. I saw Target had a cute ice cube tray for beer bottles in their dollar bin so I used that. Looks damn cool I think. And all done with buttercream, except the medallion was made from fondant.


The birthday girl!

I love how it turned out. I used edible glitter on the medallion and numbers.

Detail of ice and bottles

 I wanted better lighting so I tried an inside shot

Here's to another 40+...





No comments:

Post a Comment